Library Cards


How Do I Get a Card?

Apply for a library card at the Troy Main Library, Pleasant Hill Branch, Maker Lab or the Bookmobile. Dayton Metro Library and Bradford library cards can also be used at all TMCPL locations.

Any Ohio resident can get a library card. If your photo ID does not have your current address, please bring proof of address (utility bill, bank statement etc.). A provisional library card with a three item  limit can be issued if no proof of permanent address is shown. 

Children under 18 years old must have their library card application signed by a parent or legal guardian. If the child is not with the parent or caregiver, proof the child exists is required and can include a birth certificate, health/human services card, or school I.D. 

There is no minimum age requirement.

Classroom Cards are available for educators and eCards are available for those interested in an online only relationship with the library.

Lost Card / Replacement

  • Please notify the library if your card is lost or stolen to prevent unauthorized use of your card. You are responsible for all charges made to your account until the card is reported lost or stolen.

Expired Card

  • If you get a notice that your card has expired or needs attention, please call the circulation department at 937-339-0502 ext. 110.

Youth Cards

To encourage children to use their library card, the library has created a special "My First Library Card," featuring the library mascot.

A parent or legal guardian may apply for a library card for their minor child. The adult must have their proof of identification. If the child is with the parent, no additional identification for the child is needed. If the child is not with the parent, proof of the child's existence is required such as a birth certificate, health/human services card or school ID.

The parent/legal guardian accepts financial responsibility for all items borrowed. Documentation of the guardian arrangement is not required and may be changed by a parent or legal guardian. The guardian is required to maintain a current PIN number to personally review and manage the items on the child's record. The Ohio Revised Code limits the release of information regarding a child's account to a parent or legal guardian. An adult signing for a child's card without such documentation must use a PIN to manage the account online without staff assistance.

If a child's parents are divorced or separated, any parent may sign for the child's card, although it is recommended that the parent with primary custody sign for the card.  The Library has no way of verifying a custody arrangement and holds the signing parent responsible.